11/16/2006

more fun with work words.

Since a lot of you probably won't see the comment Jean just left on my office speak post, I figured I should post it here. Because it's really fucking great. Feel free to comment with more. You know you can make a bingo board with the words & phrases filled in instead of numbers and discretely play with your favorite co-workers during meetings. Not like I would ever do that at my job. Onto Jean's list:

here are my favorites (despite the sports metaphors, my department is all women). keep in mind this is only a partial list:

bandwidth
full court press
visibility
speificity
rolled up
buckets
finessed
reallocate
tap in
mindset
place hold
radar screen
fruits
low hanging fruit
loop in
piggyback
flesh out
nugget
pan for nuggets
tough nut to crack
dragon to slay
still has legs
cross pollination
pearls
tidbits
on top of that speed bump
lots to tackle

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

please explain "low hanging fruits."

Christina said...

ah, my little non--profit friend. 'Low hanging fruit' is usually used in the context of taking advantage of an obvious oppurtunity. Jean, you wanna weigh in here?

Anonymous said...

"Make that an Action Item." I fucking hate Action Items. If only they were a Slinky or a squirt gun, then perhaps they could be appreciated. My minor rebellion is to put "To Do" lists on meeting minutes, a break from well defined protocol.

Anonymous said...

Yes, low hanging fruit is an easy tibit to tackle, not a tough nut to crack, which you often have to squirrel away and place hold with another nugget or piggyback into another bucket until you are past that hurdle.

Anonymous said...

For the letter "D":
deliverables
ducks in a row
download

Anonymous said...

I actually have to admit, I don't really know what most of these mean. I just sit at meetings and nod.