3/02/2008

best thing i heard all week

I decided last night I would wake up early today and take a walk with my camera. I haven't done that in a while. There have been people visiting, and early morning meetings, and too many days when I wake up at 6 and just go go go. I like that blogging makes me pause sometimes. So I'll be back here later with some photos from my walk. Or maybe I won't, maybe I'll get caught up in the way the city looks at this hour and not take a single picture. I'm just going to see what happens.

This morning the first thing I did was turn on my radio and I heard the last couple of sentences of Laurie Granieri's essay for 'This I Believe' it's all about leaving work at 5 and not stressing and working yourself to the bone to get that corner office. It resonated deeply with me, because some days I work too long and too many amazing interesting people in my office forget their outside lives and stay in the office for 12 hours straight without seeing the sun or pulling themselves away from the computer. I think working that much can become addictive, and I think it's something too many people do. So Laurie's essay was the best thing I've heard in a long while. You can read it and listen to it here, I already forwarded it to some co-workers. I think it's a good reminder to get passed around. Now I'm going outside.

2 comments:

molly said...

excellent. i've fwd'd it to all my 9am to 9pm worker pals. thanks for that.

comfies said...

mmm, thanks for that link t. good stuff. xo.