2/07/2007

bruised knees.



Today as I was walking to work, before I had coffee and while I was debating whether to have a bagel or a banana and hard boiled egg for breakfast I missed a step, didn't see the curb, tripped or just forgot to put one foot in front of the other and fell on my face. It was right in front of the huge sea of people walking towards me, all of them also in a zombie like daze. I walk into this sea everyday, and I always think about how I look to them, when I see someone crack a smile as I walk by I wonder, is my fly down? I think about how my bright colored clothing usually clashes with their blues and blacks. I'm wearing a jean skirt and knee high socks today, and so lucky for me my knees got all bloody as they scraped against the pavement. People ducked out of the way, but one very nice woman stopped and made sure I was OK. She had the kindest face and when I started laughing and told her my mind was somewhere else she made some really sweet comment about how she was clumsy too. We walked together until we got to her office. It was no more than a 30 second interaction but after I left her I thought about how I want to be like that, calm and kind and willing to talk to a clumsy girl on the street so she doesn't feel like a complete ass. That made my day.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I've just been reading your blog for a week or two, referred here by one of the many craft blogs I follow. This post really moved me, and I wanted to thank you for sharing yourself. Your post makes me believe you are like that--calm and kind and willing to talk to a clumsy girl on the street so she doesn't feel like a complete ass. You made MY day!

Anonymous said...

oh please... fallin on your face ain't no thang! at least, that's what us truly clumsy folk always say. :)

Christina said...

i forgot your an old pro at falling JJ! but do you bleed?? my knees still hurt. wah. and no matter how many times you've fallen on your face, it's always a little humiliating, no?

Anonymous said...

i think it's so funny when we talk in person, "did you read bruised knees?", we refere to posts on your blog... and i come home and READ about what happened to yoU! i love this blog!!