2/24/2007

my dirty netflix addiction.


Don't think it didn't feel like crack, 'cause it did. I won't even try to deny it. As I rushed to wrap the DVD back into the familiar red envelope fast enough to make mail pick-up on a Saturday, I couldn't help but feel a little dirty. I woke up at 8:30am, full of big plans to organize and clean my studio, but it was early on a Saturday morning, I was still groggy, didn't need to be anywhere-- so I popped in the Grey’s Anatomy DVD. I have to confess that I am new to all of this, I've only recently joined netflix, and really, if it weren’t for my roommate I wouldn't even have my own account. I came home to this Grey’s Anatomy DVD last night, and by Saturday morning at 1:34pm I had watched all 5 episodes in a row. After every episode I told myself, "ok, one more and then I'll get out of bed, shower, eat, clean." But for fucks sake it was a Saturday and what did I have to do? For the first time in weeks, nothing-- no work, no craft fairs, no plans with friends. The day was truly mine, so yeah, I decided to spend 4 hours and 42 minutes of it on a TV show. I didn't even pause that shit to pee, well, once or twice between episodes I got up to fill my water glass, because I was a little hung over and dehydrated. But that was it. I'm surprised I don't have bedsores.

And at 2:30pm, as I was stuffing the DVD back in that self-addressed envelope, I felt like such an addict. Oh I have lots to say about the first five episodes of Grey’s Anatomy, I thought about it in the shower. Mostly, I thought about how producers everywhere must sit in rooms now and say things like, "Picture Sex and the City, but in the ER." You probably don't care, but Izzie, Meredith, Christina, and that guy (shit what's his name?) are total carbon copies of the ladies from SATC. I'm watching Grey's Anatomy in real time now, and I don't see the Sex & the City comparison as much- but I swear that must have been their frame work for the first season, complete with McDreamy as Mr.Big. Really- netflix that shit and see what I'm talking about. Or not.

I'm not really sure what this is adding to my life, other than the fantasy that if I ever need surgery, the doctors will all be really good looking and emotional, and one of them will develop an inappropriate crush on me and lock me in one of the supply closets for a little shag right before I'm about to be released from the hospital. We'll have a really tortured relationship and he'll almost lose his job over it, but in the end I'll realize he's more concerned with making Chief Surgeon than raising our babies.

No comments: